Old 02-13-09, 06:17 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So Area Man how lucky are you? Some people have to drive a long way to do hills. Just assume all rides are hilly and you have no choice. That will teach you to be a better climber and talk about getting strong - fast.

Being a "fluffy" gal, I use to avoid hills and then one day I decided to stop avoiding them. I purposely started climbing ever hill I could find. Now flat rides are really boring. I hate them!

The best piece of advice given me... is from a friend on a mountain bke ride. We were climbing a particularly steep trail when he rode up and asked "why are you trying so hard? Why don't you just take a rest and enjoy the climb?" It took me a bit to understand what he meant. There is a reason bikes come with gears. And there is a reason aerobic activity is better than anerobic. When I start a climb I gear down to the easiest, most comfortable gear and just spin trying very hard not to get winded. Once you get winded, and go anerobic, all effect and benefit is lost.

So use those hills to measure your fitness. Keep trying. Sooner or later it will get easy and you will be very strong so strong flats will be incredibly easy. The weight will melt off!! It did for me but then for some reason I stopped riding... never do that!!!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.