Old 02-15-09, 08:50 PM
chryanna

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Safety Concerns doing the TransAm Trail Alone?

Hey all,

I'm graduating this summer, and would very much like to celebrate by riding the TransAm trail from Virginia to my home in Colorado. But I have some concerns. My general fitness level is good, but I have no experience with long-distance cycling. Nor do I have any good friends who are interested/able to come with me. I know this means I'll get off to a very slow start, and I have no desire to hold back people in a group, or a partner with a much better fitness level. To be honest, biking alone also sounds meditative and nice. It's great to go at your own schedule, stop when you want, and be left alone with your thoughts.

But I'm a little concerned with doing the trail on my own as I'm not great with directions, and some of the accounts I've read seem to suggest that the trail may not be that well-marked. Do enough people know about the trail, I'd be able to ask directions easily? Would having a cell phone with GPS suffice? I'm also a fairly small woman in my mid-twenties, and was planning to camp the majority of time (Camped tons of times before and am very comfortable with it, just not necessarily alone, in a campground I'm not familiar with.) Assuming I have the requisite fitness level, take safety precautions, research and bring all the necessary equipment, am I still insane to try this alone?

And if so, what options would be feasible for someone in my position? Would it be common say, to go with a group, and agree where to meet for the night, but then be free to go at my own pace during the day? Should I just cross my fingers I find another beginner to ride with, and then cross my fingers we go at one another's pace?

I've mentioned this in one other forum and was strongly dissuaded from doing it for reasons of fitness. I'd ask that you please just help me figure out how to do it safely. I fully expect it to be grueling and painful in the beginning. That's one of the things that actually attracts me to it. In any sport where you're underprepared, the challenge and the rapid improvement curve are intoxicating.

But I'm not stupid. I just need a realistic assessment of the risks, and then the ability to take safeguards and make my own decisions.

Thanks so much!