Old 02-16-09, 09:00 AM
dondonaldo
Knotwright

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Platy
Here's an interesting thing I learned reading this forum.

TV commercials show happy adults on bikes all the time! Start watching and you will see for yourself. The bicycle is often used as a symbol of vigorous, joyous, carefree, relaxed living. Advertising is all about subconscious messages. Maybe from time to time you can simply point out an adult riding a bike in an advertisement. And when the kids are ready, also explain why the advertiser has chosen bike riding to symbolize the best things life has to offer.
Platy, that's an interesting point. I haven't given much thought to the, mostly pharmaceutical if I remember correctly, commercials out there. We don't have access to broadcast or cable television at home. The kids still watch TV, but we get stuff from the library so we never see commercials. It's certainly something to mull over that advertisers see a symbolism in cycling that doesn't appear to be widely presented elsewhere.

Originally Posted by wahoonc
My two grew up with dad hauling them around in the old 'dale Bugger trailer, then they graduated to bikes of their own. We rode regularly with another family, we did short tours, weekend rides to the ice cream store, commuted to school, etc. Both are grown and are on their own, DS live car free in Leeds, UK, DD lives car light in Carnation, WA. Their mother would not ride a bike for any reason. So I guess I didn't do too bad. Good luck, children learn primarily by example.

Aaron
Thanks Aaron, glad to hear your kids learned to incorporate cycling into their lifestyles.