View Single Post
Old 02-16-09, 10:14 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Bombadil will pull out some meaningless study showing statistically that clipless pedals don't do anything to improve performance, but you will probably find, like most of us who use them, that they help you transfer more of your power to the pedals. The biggest difference I notice is on climbs, where the ability to apply power across the bottom of the stroke and possibly some on the upstroke will help you keep your cadence higher. I also notice a big difference when accelerating on a flat section. With clipless pedals I am able to more consistently spin circles rather than jerky rotations with most of the power in the downstroke.
This is right on the money. Every body I have set up with clipless has said the same thing when we hit the first hill. The response is usually something like "HOLY S***!!!, Why didn't I do this sooner?!?"
If you really want to get the max benefit, take a spinning class. You'll learn to move you feet in "big circles". You'll notice a big difference when out on the road.