Old 02-17-09, 04:57 PM
crazybikerchick

Bikes: Devinci Caribou, Kona Dew Plus, Raleigh Twenty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the upside to corroded parts

So I'm getting really tired of riding my getting-increasingly-crapped up winter beater. Salt is very unkind to bikeys. I think oh the roads look clear (ie salt free) I'll ride my nice shiny Kona but then I come back to find the whole thing covered in white dust. (and I hate cleaning bikeys) So ah no. Not yet.

Yesterday was "family day" here in Ontario, a new statutory holiday. But somehow our office had a loophole so we didn't get the day off, but the rest of the building did. So since the underground garage I usually park in was closed I locked up on the street. I don't worry too much about theft since its a crapped up looking beater bike, but Toronto has evil bike thieves so I still lock it with a Krypto Evolution Mini, a cable through the other wheel. I take my lights off and with me. I note that I still have been lazy and not replaced the quick release on the seat post but its a generic crap seatpost and a not-steal-worthy seat. (female specific and well worn out)

After a sanity-challenging day from rattling heat vents in the office, I unlock my bike in the cold and the dark with only a quick cursory oh good its all still here look, and start riding. I think my sanity is being challenged again. Hmm did my legs shrink about an inch? Why am I rocking back and forth on the saddle? Must just be losing it. Hmm maybe should check that out.

I get off and the quick release on the seat is open. Odd. If it accidentally came open, the seat would not go higher, now would it? So my theory is some crackhead tried to steal my seat and then probably got flustered at the effort involved in taking it out. I did regrease it when I struggled with it forever myself the last time but no doubt fresh slushy salty crap has crapped it up again.

I <3 the underground parking where I just lock any part of the bike to the rack and go and leave everything on. I've even seen unlocked nice shiny Dahons hanging about here.

Anyway although corroded bike parts suck, it does make them theft-proof!