Old 02-18-09, 08:33 AM
JG26_Irish

Bikes: Cannondale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alky workouts

I'm not a doctor and my expertise in this area is anecdotal at best. My wifey is a very experienced heart nurse so a little bit rubbed off by accident while hanging out with her and the cardiothoracic surgeons. Workouts and alcohol are usually not good to mix. My personal experience is that it is better to workout before the IPA than after. That said, the HR monitor on those machines vary in accuracy and they do tend to be affected by the conductivity of the palms of your hands. But, when that happens it usually lowers the measured rate, not increases. 190 sounds very high to me for any age.

One Irish theory is this: arrythmias

As we age, our hearts can and will beat in irregular patterns when stressed sometimes. PVC's, partial ventricular contractions can fool the HR monitor an make it look like the hearbeat is higher. If you have this, you might feel a flutter in your chest on occasion. I cannot spell it but tachycardia is a type of arrythmia that causes the heart to misfire and those electrical contraction impulses are what the heart rate monitor is tracking. If you are prone to this it can and will show up as a higher than normal heart rate. There are many complex forms of this but some can be triggered by stress or "Dehydration" which as previously posted can come from the alcohol.

If you see this, try to cough HARD. That will often convert your heartbeat pattern back to a normal sinus rhythme. If that was what you experienced, then the cough might make the HR monitor measure drop back to a normal range for you. If it has no affect on the monitor then my little amateur theory was wrong. If it is the cause, it would be good to back off and rest then get checked out.

Irish

Irish