helmet brake

Bikes: Kilo TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Toe Clips for NYC Noob?

Hey all...
I have been riding in NYC for a few years now and bought a nice new wheel for my all-steel el-cheapo single speed yesterday. It had the flip flop arrangement with an 18 tooth fixed on the other side.
Well, I couldnt stand the temptation and flipped the wheel around last night and rode for a few hours in Manhattan and had a great time.

Im no hipster (too old), but I live in Williamsburg, and have resisted the urge to even try a fixed gear bike because of the constant visual reinforcement of my prejudice about the trendiness of these bikes...

PEDALS:
I have flat pedals on the bike and have never ridden a bike with foot restraint... Any advice for a guy in his first couple of days of riding fixed in the city?

I mean... last night I "forgot" that I couldnt coast a couple of times and it got a little crazy... I didnt bail, but I wonder if it would have been weirder if my feet were stuck! And what about when you HAVE to stop at a light? Can you get your foot out pretty easy? Anyway, any thoughts appreciated.
From what I see on the street and can infer from the forums EVERYONE uses toeclips 'eh? I suppose there is a big benefit... seems like STOPPING and higher cadences might be better with toe clips?

OK, off to buy a white belt and an army hat...

Best, Jake

Last edited by jakerock; 02-18-09 at 10:32 AM.