View Single Post
Old 02-19-09, 10:18 AM
Wiswell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That, plus better eating habits (Olive Oil instead of other oils).

I work in a downtown. While I do drive and sometimes take the bus during DST (November through March - bike commuting will start again as early as next week, yeah!), I park 5 blocks away because the ramp is cheaper and I enjoy the exercise. Most of my colleagues who drive park across the street, paying a higher rate, just so they don't have to walk. I live where much of what I need is within 1.5 miles, so if I can't bike there due to weather, I walk (ok, except for groceries).

It is the "health club" lifestyle that scares off sedentary people. They are somehow threatened into thinking that the health club is the only way to exercise, and are intimidated, when in reality just doing a little more walking will make a big difference. Just comparing the body types of people who live in cities like Chicago and NYC with those in the 'burbs (present company excepted) you can see how the walking versus driving lifestyle makes a difference.

What I do dislike about this articles is that for the sedentary soul it just fuels their fire - "I don't have a risk of osteo!" (to which, of course, we have many good responses, but nonetheless)