View Single Post
Old 02-21-09, 11:18 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Greetings, Nancy. I was pleased to open my magazine and see the article about your family. I've been monitoring your progress for awhile. You all are among my heroes, and I can't wait to see what your kids are going to grow up to be. I think an experience like this can't help but be a life-changer.

When I was 6 my family drove across the country and back in a VW bus (in 1956!), camping most of the way, and spent 6 months just across the river from Washington, D.C. before heading back to Seattle. We spent most weekends sightseeing in Washington. I saw the country on that trip, mile by mile, and spent hundreds of hours learning about our history while in the capital. That trip had a profound impact on my whole life.

Your kids are seeing much more, and doing it on bicycles, which we all know is the best way to see every detail of every mile (except maybe for walking.) They are indeed lucky to have parents willing to undertake an adventure of this magnitude with them.

Best of luck, may the wind be mostly at your back, and may the rain mostly be in another county.

Gordon Snapp
Central Coast of California