Old 02-25-09, 09:18 PM
VARacer

Bikes: Colnago C-40/Scott CR1/Lucero Lite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tale of a Cat 5 - Chapter 2 - Sanford Crit

This was the second race of my Cat 5 season. Technical crit with 6 turns in a 1/2 mile.

1. Race before the race. One thing I had read before starting racing is never to mess with your equipment the day of the race. Clearly, my brain did not get that memo. I decided that I wanted to replace my rear tire. Yikes. Three tubes later (long story) I was concerned I would not be able to race. Lucky for me, the LBS was open and helped me out. Crisis averted and lesson learned.

2. Pre-race warmup. Felt fine. Ramped up the intensity over 30 minutes with two 3' FT efforts with 30" VO2max segments. As I would find out, this warmup was insufficient. For those who read Chapter 1 a few weeks ago - I have pre-race warmup issed the effects of which are painfully felt early in the race

3. Please lord make it stop. Typical (from what I am told) start to the Cat 5 crit - violent as all get out and - yes - you guessed it - VARacer did not get to the front of the group at the start line. I need to get a better strategery for getting to the front at the start line! Being at the back of the pack for a 6 turn crit gave me a great opportunity to be a virtuoso of the accordion. Right about now I was looking for an exit with the intent of selling the bike, gear, etc. My warmup felt fine and the engine appeared primed, but when the race starts my legs fail to cooperate. I have yet to figure this out.

4. Numbness becomes me. As in Chapter 1 (my first race) there comes a time after playing the accordion for half the race when my legs are effectively numb to the effort and I begin to feel stronger. Can't explain it and I guess I do not care. Oddly, it is at this time of the race when those who had their backs turned during my accordion solo begin to get dropped. I begin to move up. However, and the one lesson I have learned from Chapter 1, I do no work. I hung out in the top 15 or so creeping up and back, but never to the front. Feeling pretty confident.

5. Can I have some mayo with my asphalt sandwich? As a Cat 5 one thing that I have learned is imperative is that you have to know the proper cornering technique. This is one thing I do fairly well (relatively speaking). Coming out of a corner before the start/finish line I feel some bumping (not a rub, but a bump) into my left side. Turns out this rider must have taken the corner at the wrong angle and swung out wide. I say this because I was already through the corner and wide as it was. Needless to say, he almost knocked me off the bike. I de-clipped (if that is a word) my left foot and subconsciously tried to regain my balance.....my bike wobbled like it was on ice for about 10 meters. I ended up righting myself, clipped back in and got back in the group, but not before the announcer vocalized my situation to the crowd! Oddly, the event did not stress me out. This is not so much a lesson for a Cat 5, but a realization. Some people are cool with riding at 25-27 mph and having people - "accidentally" - nudge them, rub them, etc. Others freak out and become sketchy. I have learned that I am completely cool with it. Does not bother me. As long as it is not on purpose, I can deal with it. If you are a beginning racer and such things do bother you, you really need to go out in a grassy field and practice close contact riding to get used to it.

6. Winner, winner, chicken dinner? Nope. Despite all the "knowledge" I have learned from BFers, group rides, coaching, racing, I still have no concept on how to sprint. Came around the last corner and turned it on. I even remembered to stand on the pedals this time (big step for me). However, I did not have my hands in the drops (mistake) and when I applied the torque to the pedals my front wheel lifted off the ground (I am guessing this is not what is meant by a "jump" ). Only slightly, but I could definitely feel it and it was enough for me to take it down a notch. On the trainer I can put out about 1300 watts (77 kgs), but on the road I cannot replicate. A lot like putting a big block engine in a Kia - all the power in the world don't mean jack if you cannot get it to the wheels. I am by no means saying I have big block power....oh well, you get the point. If any experience BFers have any sprint workouts tips they want to share I am all ears.

7. I ended up 10th I think. Winning break of 3 were in before the lead chase group (with me) came to the line. Very happy with the result, but troubled by my "slow" legs at the beginning of the race. It is almost as if I need to have a "race" (15" on/15" off?) on the trainer as a warmup. However, I am afraid of burning matches. Maybe this is not a concern with the shorter length of Cat 5 races?

8. Did I yell at the chef who almost fed me the asphalt sandwich? No. Did I call him out during the race? Sure did. Last lesson. Do not tell your wife, girlfriend, significant other, dog, etc. about your near death experiences on the bike. I learned that lesson when I got home.

Looking forward to the next chapter. I hope my race follies help any Cat 5s out there.