Old 02-26-09, 06:34 PM
sam83
On Two Wheels

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Bianchi Volpe, 2 Salsa Casserolls (fixed & Triple), 2011 Salsa Chili Con Crosso, 1983 Schwinn Supersport, Schwinn Mesa MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are keeping your old bike, you will have to re-wire your brain to go back and forth from Campy to Shimano. And the wheels cannot be swapped out with a simple cassette change.

I've got Shimano and Sram and the basic shifting is similar enough that I rarely, rarely try to shift one like the other.

I have ridden Campy on occasion, but not that much. Always have a few mis-shifts and had to concentrate. (Ironically I would have no problem if I was using the low end Sora!)

I feel like I'd have trouble going back and forth if I owned both. Although I ride a motorcycle and even though the front brake is on the opposite hand from a bicycle, I never think about it and never get it wrong.

Back on topic, I've owned many, may compacts and triples and have never had shifting problems with any I've owned. The triples are the most versatile and can be made a lot more hill-friendly than a compact double if needed.