View Single Post
Old 02-26-09, 09:36 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by roseskunk
So after a couple of years with my Surly LHT- a fine bike btw, I finally bought myself an Atlantis. Been wanting one forever, and one of my good friends had one in a box, never built up. It was a good price... Help me build it up.

The easy and least expensive solution is to strip the Surly: Sugino crank, Paul brakes, Shimano pieces, moustache bars, nitto racks, honjo's, etc. then I'd sell the Surly frame to offset the Atlantis. But, hell, that's not nearly as much fun as building it up from scratch. So I'm looking for suggestions... I'm plenty partial to vintage and could go vintage campy drivetrain but I do have NR on two of my bikes now... but what about everything else? I want to set it up as a light tourer... should I get Phil hubs or a dynamo? I love the idea of a dynamo, but which? Pretend for a moment that money is no object- though it is... most likely I'll put nitto racks front and rear, honjo fenders, maybe I should have Peter White build a set of wheels for me... anyway, I'm open to any and all suggestions! Help! (What a terrific problem to have!)
I'd say hang on to the Surley "As is" then do something a little different with the Atlantis. My vote is to do the light tourer with a SON dynohub and maybe later Campy from the '80's like Chorus: Triple on the front (If available) and 7 -to 10 speed on the rear. Silver Sun CR-18 rims.