Old 02-27-09, 07:09 AM
sekaijin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Classic, 1984 Schwinn LeTour, 1998 Gary Fisher Marlin, 1969 Hercules, 1977 Sekai 5000 Superlite, 1993 Koga-Myata TerraLiner, 2013 Trek Farley.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
Hope it helps. I hope you get those working too.

To clarify...

Make sure the left/front shift arm is in the down/relaxed position when setting up.

I assume you know how to set the limit screws on the FD?

I'm not trying to doubt your intelligence or know-how...I was just kinda vague with those setup tips.
I appreciate the tips ... I know enough to set the FD limit screws at a point where they keep the chain from overshifting off the rings ... and preferably where the chain does not rub the cage if I occasionally shift into a gear where I'm crossing the chain more than I should ... and they sometimes need tweaking to keep the shifting dialed in ... but mostly I pretty much wing it by trial and error until it's right. Your tips about the way to get the settings right in a rebuild are brand new to me, and look very helpful.

Originally Posted by badger_biker View Post
I have 7 inches of snow to clear out of the drive tonight and we are leaving town tomorrow for the weekend.
Yikes! All the best digging out, and have a great weekend. No digging here in Madison: we got heavy sleet, enough to close the highway briefly when it was carpeted in hailstones. Then it turned to rain, which I rode home in. Lots of surface water from melting showbanks and ice-choked runoff drains. It froze overnight and this morning everything is a sheet of ice. I'll ride to work on my studded tires.

But I did check the outer pieces you were interested in and you do have them in the correct order. The double notched one you have on the right side is definitely from that side. I can't vouch for exactly how the identical 2 go on the left at this point for sure but I think you have them correct also.
Wow, I'm a little surprised. I thought it made sense that the two identical notched spacers would both belong outboard. Cool.

Here is how my right is set up. The inner spacer (right lever) has the big notch that matches the notch in the lever. Then with the lever at about mid point the other spacer with the little clip is facing about straight up with the clip fitting in the other notch of the first inner spacer. The outer Suntour ring goes next with its notch fitting slightly aft and down from the clip on the smaller outer spacer.
I can't really visualize this when I'm not working on the bike, but I will have this printed out when working on it. Thanks.

I also recall you need to get a fair amount of tension on the lock bolt on the right so it doesn't loosen the whole assembly after a while. I don't think mine has the little lock washers you do though.
I am really hoping this works smoothly when it goes back together. Before, the left shifter was really hard to keep at the right tightness. It frequently got loose and wiggly (like every ride or two), and when I tightened it enough to get rid of the wiggle, it was too tight to shift easily. Maybe that will go better once the cam is well lubed, as you suggest. The whole business was completely caked with dried gunk inside, which must have added a lot of resistance.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and if you still need help the beginning of the week I can take another look and maybe get a pic.
Don't hold your breath - I'm short on time to wrench, so things move a little slowly with me. I have a social ride scheduled for March 14 and my goal is to have the LeTour done by then.

I liked the pic of your Le Tour. I thought I got a deal at $30 with crappy wheels but yours was better. Mine also has center pulls and from the pic it looks like yours may have sidepulls. Same color though although my decals except the tubing sticker were all worn off. I have it set up with front and rear racks as a grocery getter. I'll try to post a pic next week.
Mine is to be a 3-season commuter and rain bike. For $5 it certainly didn't look bad at a glance, except for the flaking-off decals, but your $30 LeTour may still have been a better deal: once I rode mine and then took it apart, I found it was in rough shape. The cables and housings were so old/dirty/corroded that shifting and braking were sticky (replaced them). The BB was shot, with pitting on the spindle races (replaced it). Headset not pretty but serviceable. The inside of the frame was full of rust dust (framesavered it). The hubs would have benefited from an overhaul, if I kept using those wheels.

Post your pics ... I'll post mine as a before and after, hopefully by the Ides of March!