Old 02-27-09, 08:20 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by sam83
If you are keeping your old bike, you will have to re-wire your brain to go back and forth from Campy to Shimano.
Only if you're not very smart. It's not that hard.

Originally Posted by sam83
Back on topic, I've owned many, may compacts and triples and have never had shifting problems with any I've owned. The triples are the most versatile and can be made a lot more hill-friendly than a compact double if needed.
True.

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Hip, as you know there is nothing wrong with the triple. Get it if you want it.

If you're really wondering about a compact I can tell you that I have grown to love compacts. I have ridden a few different ones over the last 2 seasons and insist on riding one up in your neck of the woods. It is plenty low enough to climb Blue Mounds, etc. and I have yet to lose a race because I ran out of gear on the top end.....

I think you'd love a compact. In general I personally feel that Shimano compacts shift better than triples. That's the reason I would switch...not because of weight.

Just my $0.02.
I think that both are great crank setups. I personally feel that the triples shift just slightly better than the compact doubles due to the smaller gaps in chainring sizes, however the compact double has fewer chainline/crosschaining issues and fewer cage rub problem.

It's really sixes.

I don't really race, but I've never run out of gear on my compact double either. Yesterday on the ride home from work my buddy and I were sprinting at 33mph (I know, I'm slow) and I still wasn't in my tallest gear.