Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by DScott
I'd prefer a compact double, but not if it meant losing the Ultegra quality in favor of the Bontrager junk. If they'd let you upgrade to an Ultegra compact, that would rock it, even if it meant a few dollars more to you.

I don't get the impression that there's alot of significant climbing in Wisconnesota, or wherever you are. If that's true, the compact would be perfect.
That brings up a good point. When I was referring to compacts I made the incorrect assumption that we were talking about Shimano. I have found that IMHO Shimano compacts shift fantabulously. Bonty - not so much. FSA - nah. Campy - meh...so-so.

I would agree that if you do decide to go Compact that you $$-up for a Shimano compact crank. Besides...you know Jerry could use the $$.

EDIT: Just saw this on a re-read...
I don't get the impression that there's alot of significant climbing in Wisconnesota, or wherever you are. If that's true, the compact would be perfect
Wow...all I can say is that you are horribly misinformed about the area. It happens to be pretty knarly. The climbs aren't more than a handful of miles long (2 at the most in many cases), but the grades are damn near ludicrious.

Many challenge rides in the area which use the term "Hilly" in their name. Many rides where you can clear 12,000ft of climbing....etc.

If Chicago gets the olympics () the plan is to have the road cycling course in the area of Wisconsin I am referring to.

Last edited by Psimet2001; 02-27-09 at 11:32 AM.