Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Race Report: Canada Individual Time Trial

In preparation for the Berkeley Team Time Trial next Saturday, I participated in a practice individual time trial organized by one of my racing club members with the proceeds going to the Lance Armstrong Foundation. We had over 100 riders raising more than $2,500. In the individual aero time trial men’s category (all ages), I placed 40 out of 48 with a 27:44 (my best time). The winning time was 23:10. The fastest 2 man team was 22:02. Overall taking into account men, women, teams and the Merckx category, I was 65 out of 103 or the top 2/3 of the entire field. There were two men who came in ahead of me at 27:43 – seconds count.

In addition to the men, we had ITT women, juniors and teams. We also include a Merckx (non-aero men and women) category so that riders can compete on their road bikes. BTW, we allow all forms of technology including recumbents and tandems.

I have been training on my TT bike at our cycling gym but this was the first full out effort this year on my TT bike. My training has focused on power building / hill climbing and now we are working on speed as well as the track. It was interesting to see what effect, if any, the track workouts would have on my road racing. At the track, I have been practicing standing starts plus doing a lot more sprinting and shorter intense efforts. I think the track work really helped my start and turnaround.

Since Velodiva had a medical procedure, she did not race but helped out. However, after the TT, Velodiva and I went on a 40 mile ride.

Next week is Berkeley team time trial which Velodiva and I will race on our tandem. The week after that is the Madera Stage race consisting of a crit followed by an ITT on Saturday and a 50 mile road race on Sunday. We are both entering.

Here are some pics.

The 9.7 mile course elevation profile. It is an out an back course with a cone turnaround.

Warming up. I started my warmup (not pictured below) about 45 minutes before my starting time of 7:45 AM.

Staring line. For this race our starter was Christine Thorburn who raced on the 2008 USA Olympic road team in Beijing. Her specialty is the time trial where she placed 5th in Beijing.

This is me right after the start. I thought I got a very good start. The temperature at the start was approximately 48 degrees overcast skies with very little wind.

The finishing climb.

This is one of my 55+ team mates finishing who did a 25 and change time.

Here I am at the finish line.