Old 03-03-09, 06:50 PM
DaJMasta

Bikes: Giant XTC Team Custom XC bike, Nashbar tourer custom commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hubs and Frames, on a budget

My current setup is a decent one, I shouldn't complain. But I've been wanting to move to disc brakes for some time now and my current frame does not support them. I also have wheels with Deore non-disc hubs, not exactly ideal for going disc brakes.

I've settled on Avid BB7s with 185mm rotors for the brakes (can get a pair for $90 plus shipping, but I'm in no rush), and have a Rockshox Recon Race Air on it's way with the proper mounts. But I'm looking for suggestions on a low-mid price hardtail frame, or at least some ones I can hunt around for to find a good price, and some solid hubs to go with.

For the frame, I'm looking for something 18-20 inches, definitely hardtail (XC/urban rider), and price is a significant factor. I won't set an upper limit as I could save a bit and hunt around some more and maybe do better, but in the ballpark of $300 is on the high end for my budget. Has to have disc mounts, V-brake mounts optional, and I'd prefer an alloy one (Ti is too expensive and carbon is too fragile for my tastes.) I am a fairly large rider (borderline clyde) who often carries 30+ pounds of stuff on my back, but I don't do a huge amount of downhill or really rough trails.

For the hubs... I know I could get a pair of deore disc hubs (same as I have now but with the mounts), but I was hoping to move a step up. I can't shell out $100 a hub, but I could do maybe that much for the two. I just have no idea what the actual differences between the shimanos (deore, xt, lx, xtr, slx, etc), and other brands (i've seen some reasonably priced sram 9.0, but have no idea about their quality). I could potentially go with a full wheelset, but I've got new Mavic 317s and DT swiss spokes which i could reuse easy enough, and I'm sure rebuilding the wheel would be rewarding.

So what can I do with that budget? Don't need extremes of toughness or lightness, but I want them to be durable and long-lasting. I've got some time to look around and collect funds, so suggestions just above my pricerange are still welcome.