Old 03-04-09, 11:52 AM
andrelam

Bikes: Gerry Fisher Nirvana, LeMond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilbur Bud
If you are not using an extra set of wheels to swap studs in and out based on local conditions, then perhaps the average last frost day chart (or pick another definition like light freeze). I know I am very tired of being on teh studs as we enter March, yet I rode across a couple ice patches on yesterday's commute.
The chart shows Mid Ocober through Mid April for Buffalo... that's about right. I know I am getting tired of the studs and would love to go for longer rides, but this week I've seen 12F to 18F in the mornings... Winter is still going to linger for a while. We also usually get one more "good" snow storm during mid to late March. Once April rolls around I'll just look 10 days out and figure out when I can realistically remove the winter tires. I think last year they came off right around April 1st. In the Fall I also look at the long term weather forcast and generally they tires go on Mid October.

I've managed not to go down this year... I'd like to keep it that way, I don't want to fall because I took my tires off a few weeks too early and I hit some unexpected ice. I'd rather suffer an other two or three weeks of harder riding then get hurt.

Happy riding,
André