urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by Oleanshoebox
If they run red lights that is a different story...
That's what I was referring to specifically. Not that all CMs do that, but most of them do.

Originally Posted by wcoastbikr
This is why I can't...I'm a cyclist and I do want people that treat cyclists bad on the roads to understand we have a right and that it's not ok to treat us like crap. But slowing traffic down and blocking drivers isn't going to do anything but piss them off. You can't think of this as a cyclist if you're trying to convey your message to people that aren't cyclists. You have to think like a person in a car that doesn't ride a bike.

Most people that don't ride usually aren't happy when critical masses come along.
Well put.

Originally Posted by Oleanshoebox
I think you missed the point of my post...and pissing off motorists is exactly what critical mass is trying to do-to prove that nobody cares or notices when cyclists get pissed off-or injured-or killed. But godforbid a motorist be 10 minutes late to their dinner meeting!

I don't mean to stir things up-but these kids have got a right to stand up and piss some people off. It gives me hope that this is what young cyclists are doing. More power to 'em.
I don't see how pissing people off does anything. Based on the few conversations I've had with non-cyclists, things like CMs and other cyclists acting like A-holes make them feel like they are justified in buzzing them or ignoring them... because we're apparently asking for it. Of course, that doesn't make it right for the drivers, but it shows that CMs are obviously leading to MORE harassment instead of proving anything. Drivers don't make the connection between their unnecessary inconvenience and the risk cyclists face when taking to the streets.

Also, if they are breaking the law, they do not have the right to hinder other people's lives intentionally. I believe in freedom, but when one person intentionally invades someone else's rights, the line has been crossed. Furthermore, why piss off tons of people when only a small fraction of them are the A-hole drivers that deserve it? Punishing many for the actions of few is pathetic.

Sorry if my words seem too strong, but I am personally offended by any cyclist (CM or otherwise) who promotes a lack of respect towards other people who may or may not have dished out the same in the past.