View Single Post
Old 03-05-09, 02:17 PM
PedallingATX
Comanche Racing

Bikes: Presto NJS build, Specialized Allez Pro w/ full Dura Ace and Ksyrium SLs, 1990something Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Wait. Have any of you that are suggesting this actually BEEN to New Orleans in the summer?

The heat is down right oppressive and the humidity is not far from that of a steam room. No joke.

I grew up in Mobile, AL which is 2 hours east of New Orleans with very similar weather. When I was a kid we weren't allowed to go out and play between Noon and 4 or 5PM during parts of the summer because the heat was so bad.

Then there are the summer thunderstorms. DAILY summer thunderstorms in the afternoon.

Pedicab my a**. Stay inside if you want to survive.
I agree, you are weak. I am from the south and I go on 40-60 mile road bike rides in the middle of summer in 105 degree heat. The heat isn't the problem in NOLA. The roads, and the crime are a big problem though. Maybe some of you haven't had problems yet, but I'm sure you all know people who have. And if you want to be a bike courier/pedicab/food delivery person, you might have to go to some unsavory places. In general, it is not a bike friendly city. But the heat is NOT the problem.