Old 03-06-09, 06:57 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by dveenhuis
I'm looking at a Trek 1000 on CL listed for $400. I've been searching for a bike and think I want something more upright as I'm not sure my arms and shoulders will take the roadie posture. The bike is my size, however, and I'm having trouble finding something large (58 cm) and I'm thinking of trying it. My question is if I find the posture too aggressive what would it cost to make the riding a little more upright? Would simply a longer stem help much? I'm 6'2", 230 lb. I'm kind of a noob right now but I'm thinking down the road I'm going to want a comfort bike for riding with the wife and a road bike for organized rides.
Go to a shop to at least check out what is comfortable for you, both in size and style. Mabe you really to be looking for a hybrid instead. Just because a bike is your size doesn't mean it is the one you want.

I've heard that it's easier to make a slightly small frame fit than the reverse. The 58 might work for you, though it does sound like it might be a bit small.

You mention that your arms and shoulders might not be able to take the roadie posture. I felt the same way when I switched from my hybrid to my road bike. I'm actually quite comfortable on my road bike, but it is different. Could be a problem, though, if there are physical limitations you're dealing with.

BTW, I will say that my properly-fitted road bike is generally more comfortable than my too-small hybrid. I was constantly dealing with wrist pain and hand numbness. Also, the upright position put a lot of weight on my sit-bones. Both problems were instantly resolved with the road bike, but could have been due to a poor fit on the hybrid.

Good luck!