Old 01-17-05, 10:08 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by nycm'er
I ride on the left for several reasons, The biggest is that left turning cars will have me right outside the drivers window, no "didn't see you in my mirrors" bit when I was in front of or next to the car and mirrors won't help anyway. Also you are right there for any exchange of "civilities" I have found that I am cut off by left turning cars much less than on the blind (right) side of right turning cars. Bad drivers don't need to guess how close they are to you from the other side of the vehicle, they are right next to you. Traffic is moving slow, but not always slower than me. When I think of wrong way cyclists in NYC, it is of the food delivery guys on Second Ave riding in the bike lane (on the left of the ave) the wrong way. I don't think they have US licenses and most likely did not in the country they immigrated from. I think there is a large degree of poverty and lack of education that motivates food delivery riders to more often than not ride the wrong way (or on sidewalks). I was thinking about this thread while riding last night breaking an uncountable number of traffic laws; when I do break rules, I am careful not stick it to anyone else, a legal ped, or another biker or a car.
Very interesting. A couple of good points that I never thought of before. I have to keep that in mind while riding. I go out and come back a few blocks of one way roads every time I ride. I live on one.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 01-17-05 at 10:11 AM. Reason: incomplete