View Single Post
Old 03-08-09, 08:36 PM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
If you flatted,and couldn't get a wheel woudl you keep riding?

One of the primary advantages asserted for tubulars is the ability to ride flat, and certainly many pros have finished, even won races on flat tubulars.

Is the risk of riding on 31 spokes, higher than riding a flat?
First - riding? Yes. Racing? No, not on a flat

Second - The races I see, the first thing that happens is a hand goes up for the guy getting paid to replace their wheel to give them a new one on a flat (and undoubtedly on broken spokes). I've also seen a number of crashes and injuries when they roll out in corners on flats - assuming tubulars since most teams ride those.

My point is - since my financial well being doesn't create a positive in the risk-reward, it's just not worth it.

Ultimately, I think I agree with you that the chances of catastrophe on a 31-spoker may be pretty slim, but they would have to be significantly higher than on the properly tensioned 32 spoke that didn't break. Cause lets face it, if the 32 spoke popped a spoke, something is wrong anyway.