Old 01-17-05, 03:05 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Serge... I finally read the darn thing and have concluded I am a VC rider... as defined by "The Theory of Big."

I have long long believed in "Big." For years I have done a number of things that are specifically outlined as "adding points."

For instance I ride a large bike, with fat tires (1 inch... but will go up to 1.75 on my bike). I ride with wide flat handle bars, I ride upright. I wear bright floppy clothing... OK, orange long sleeve T shirts and orange and brightgreen vest. I almost always ride with panniers... I make large gestures... I mean I point to drivers and get their attention and tell them where I am going... even if it means knocking on windows. I flare up to make myself BIG... (think of those lizards that "flare") for instance, I was in a line of autos the other day that were merging into Costa Verde shopping center... I was "just another car," but to make sure others saw me... I was out of the saddle, standing up with my elbows out... being BIG.

I do ride in bike lanes... except approaching driveways, parked cars and intersections (collision points)... there, I signal and merge and take lanes. I have lots of bright lights on my bike. I wear a helmet.

I indicate where I intend to go by my position in the lane and my indications to drivers. (I hate auto drivers that seem to use telepathy for their intentions)

I still prefer a place on the side of the road where I can get out of the main flow of fast traffic... be it a bike lane or wide curb lane.

BTW for years I have taken lanes when and where needed... but I just feel that I am doing that because the road/bike lanes have been designed poorly or do not exist.