Old 03-15-09, 04:50 AM
alcanoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
If God wanted me to drink energy drinks, he/she wouldn't have built so many espresso stands in the state of Washington.

(Personally, I think I'm lucky - I have no problem eating "real food" on rides and generally stay away from anything to drink except water and the occasional coffee or espresso if I can find it. I love coming across a little espresso stand in the middle of nowhere...).
It all depends on how one rides and possibly the diet and has little to do with luck. If you ride at high heart rates for longer periods, you will deplete your glycogen and if you sweat a lot you'll lose electrolytes. If you stay in the fat burning zone, then one doesn't need the calories except for very long rides.

In the early 60's the wife and I suffered electrolyte depletion for a few years before we realized what was going on. Even the doctors were stumped. Some folks sweat electrolytes more than other's, so I guess there's some luck involved there.

I mix table salt in my water and take gels during the ride and do some carb loading during the post-ride "window". If I don't do that, I slow down during the ride and feel tired afterwards and can even feel hypoglycemic the next day or even two days later. Symptoms of glycogen depletion.

I typically ride 2 hours to 4 hours at around 75% of max heart rate (measured) and not infrequently spend an hour or more above 80%. It's all single-track mountain biking which is especially strenuous.

Unfortunately, there's no espresso in the woods, a big disadvantage of mountain biking. The way I ride road is not helpful either as I drive out into the country to get better scenery and some decent hills. I like to climb, hate stop signs and lights, not to mention traffic and prefer to stay on the bike for 50 to 70 miles.

From where I've been in Washington, you seem to get nice scenery from almost everywhere.

Al