View Single Post
Old 03-15-09, 09:45 AM
greaterbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're right about Bikely often being very low on climb figures. The Lake to Furnace ride shows something like 3500', but your iBike was at least 1500' higher. When I design routes, I usually sketch them out in googlemaps, then plot them in bikely, then go back to googlemaps to look for possible dirt roads, wrong intersections, etc. Recently, I've been glancing at the terrain view as well which is more helpful now that they've improved it.

That said, riding 190miles anywhere is going to add up to a decent amount of climbing. I liked the idea of cutting back over to York Furnace once on the west side of the river, but it does get into steep areas around there. Maybe, I'll plot this again coming further west near Red Lion where it's flatter and the York Furnace visit would get left out of this long one. It would def. suck to be 200K into this ride and be just digging into the hills again.

I definitely am psyched for the NR's annual 7/4OCMD ride, but I'd also like to get at least one more 300k (or more) ride under my belt this year.