Old 01-19-05, 11:56 AM
eubi
No Rocket Surgeon

Bikes: Cannondale D600, Dahon Speed T7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
I don't insist on my right of way when cycling since the wrong way bicycle rider obviously has no clue. I move as far to the left as is safe to do so and let wrong way take the inside. I also calmly (really!) tell him he's going the wrong way. This technique has resulted in a safe, or at least uneventful, pass in every instance so far.

In the event I couldn't move left, I would tell wrong way I can't move, slow and hold my line. If nothing became of this, I would get out of the situation any way I safely could. It doesn't pay to be dead right.

I have almost hit wrong way in my car when I was making a RH turn on a red (legal in CA). I looked right to watch for peds, but there were none so my attention turned to the left. When a space opened up I went. Almost got wrong way.

While commuting one morning I witnessed an accident where this is exactly what happened. Fortunately, after minor first aid, wrong way continued on his way to school, carrying his bike. The car driver felt terrible, and I made sure to let him know that from what I saw, the bike rider was at fault. He never called me...I hope he didn't get sued.

Last edited by eubi; 01-19-05 at 12:15 PM.