Old 01-19-05, 01:06 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by acantor
A confession: I do not “get” stealth camping. When I travel, I want to immerse myself in the places that I visit. After spending a day in the saddle communing with nature, my body, and my bike, the last thing I want is to spend evenings and nights by myself in a tent in the wilderness! (My guess is that the appeal of stealth camping is being in the wilderness by oneself, which is not my idea of a good time.)
To each his own, I think staying in motels rooms which pretty much look the same all over the place and they all look the same when the lights are out (dark) not my idea of a good time Plus it cost about/around $40 a night or $1,200 a month here in the US. I'll use them from time to time but generally avoid them. Even if travelling in a car, I'll avoid hotels. Camping in unique places as you tour is awesome though. Different trees, sounds, sights, animals, and yes the idea of being out of the rat race for a bit. But that is just me.

The hotsel thing is a hit or miss but I have only stayed in two of them, I stayed in one in Damascus, VA before and Harper's Ferry WV. The one in Damascus was good, did that one while section hiking the Appalachian trail. The one near Harper's Ferry was overrun with boy scouts on a weekend and was awful because of the noise of the kids.

The late Ken Kifer wrote quite a bit about his experiences in wild camping on www.kenkifer.com and why he enjoys doing that over hotels.