Old 03-16-09, 12:21 PM
DanteB

Bikes: Waterford 2200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justin70
I like the CO2 cartridges myself. I agree with the advice to take more than you need for the extra tubes you're carrying. To clarify, I don't carry a patch kit, just extra tubes. 1 or 2 depending on the length of ride. And I only carry 12 gram CO2 because it is so much cheaper to buy the air gun type than it is to buy the bike specific at the lbs. It might actually be a good idea to get a frame pump and patch kit just in case...maybe I'll do that, now that I think about it.
I carry 2 tubes and a patch kit with 5 CO2 cartridges. I do a number of double centuries every year and I think I remember only twice that I used more than 1 on a ride and that was my fault. I figure if I use 2 tubes and patch tubes 3 more times, total of 5 flats for the ride, it's time to go home. I got tired of trying to pump tires along side the road, for me it's faster to use the CO2. I haven't had my tires go soft during a ride, I run mine at 100 psi anyway, doing doubles I'm on the road a number of hours. I have noticed the next day they are down a few pounds, that's why I have a floor pump at home.