crawdaddio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by j3ffr3y :
"what are your opinions on the krypto combo u-locks?"

They are OK.
Read back through the thread to see my answers on combo locks.

Sorry, I just realized that I posted that info in a different subforum. Here you go:

Originally Posted by dynaryder :
crawdaddio: thanks for the tips. Two questions,if I may. First,I have a pair of these that I use as additional locks in my apt's garage:
http://www.bike-locks.com/product/02...da1636864.aspx

As long as you are using them ALONG with a good U lock, I think it's great. Any added security can't hurt.

I use proper U-locks with motorcycle-level cables and a Krypto NY chain to secure my bikes to water pipes,but use these to tie the frames together as an added defense. A couple times I've considered taking one with me for a quick lockup somewhere. Just how easy is it to defeat the combo?

For someone who knows how, it can take as little as 30 seconds, and as long as ten minutes to find the right combo. As and added deficit to this style of lock, it simply looks like the thief is the owner of the bike fumbling with the combo as he determines the right combination. I won't tell you how it's done, but it is not that hard to find out. Combination locks should only be used as your only lock if you are in an area that poses a very LOW RISK of theft.

Second,what's your opinion of these?
http://www.bike-locks.com/product/6b...e27c776e2.aspx

They have a Gold rating. I use one of these when out riding with friends because I don't always know what we'll be able to lock to,and just in case someone forgets their lock we can lock together.

I haven't seen that one before. It 'LOOKS' pretty robust. Notice that they advertise its 'pick resistance'. Thieves don't (usually) pick locks, and they know that. Seems like a fairly predatory advertising tactic. I still wouldn't use that as my only lock if I am locking in any kind of risky area.

Last edited by crawdaddio; 03-17-09 at 10:53 PM.