Old 03-19-09, 11:45 PM
djwid
Raptobike Rider

Bikes: Raptobike Lowracer, Redline Conquest CX, Cruzbike Vendetta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did part of the SIR (Seattle Randos) winter training series on my trike. It was early on in the season but the ride hammered me. I was much slower than I expected and was not able to keep up with the group once we hit the hills, I spent a lot of quality time with the sweeps.

I was surprised how much extra energy I spent on my trike vs my corsa.

OTOH, there is a lot to be said for riding a trike long distances assuming you can overcome the fitness and energy issues. It is stable at any speed, it is comfortable, even at stop lights and rests, it is much easier to eat on the trike than eat on the recumbent bike. On my trike I can change my jacket, I can change my gloves, I can open and close pockets. I can not do that on my Corsa while riding.

A number of people have done the PBP on trikes. There are a number of trike riders who do fast paced double centuries (doug foot comes to mind). It is totally doable to do 200k on a trike if you have already ridden 120k on the same trike and felt comfortable with the pace, distance, etc.

For my purposes I sold my trike to finance a lowracer. I am using the Corsa for current long distance rides.
2015 Cruzbike Vendetta
2009 Raptobike Lowracer #0067
My blog
My bike pictures