Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by -=Łem in Pa=-
This perception / reality exists because its allowed to. By constantly genuflecting
to our god, the car, all other forms of transport are only given minimal funding,
planning, consideration, etc....Does anyone really think if a lot of Sprawlburbaniods
were forced to take public trans it would remain as undesirable as it is, today ?
In Sweden for instance, the train stations are incredibly clean and efficient.
Revolving our whole society around auto transportation wasnt a good idea to begin
with but now, after a few decades, its clearly proven to be a dangerously outdated
and costly proposition economically, environmentally and from a quality-of-life
perspective.

OOps I have probably caused some confusion here. My comment was about buses. Electrified light rail has been proven to be the best way to travel intercity ever since the economics was worked out by Barry Commoner in The Closing Circle many decades ago.

Auto transportation is superior except where the population is very dense and property values very great, aka cities. Even in cities it may be better than public transit, depending on an individuals' preference for privacy, convenience, and willingness to bear the extra cost.

roughstuff