View Single Post
Old 03-20-09, 12:48 PM
elares

Bikes: Rivendell, Trek 7700, Univega Viva Sport, Bike Friday, Bike Friday Tandem, Bike Friday Triple, Trail-A-Bike, Trailer.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
California coast Hike or Bike camping

I'm planning a tour southbound along the California coast and need information about Hike or Bike (HB) camping. I've read references to Hike or Bike in "Bicycling the Pacific Coast" and web accounts of California tours but I am unable to get details from the California state park system.
My understanding is that some campgrounds have some sites designated as HB sites and if you ride into these campgrounds, a site will be found for you. You will not be turned away. This is great for the touring cyclist with a flexible schedule. I don't think I'll be able to make reservations more than a day or two in advance so the reservation system doesn't work well for me.
Phone calls to campground information services (state and local) produce bewildered responses from those that answer the phone. They are not familiar with this program.
Please share your experience with the HB system.
Are reservations required?
Do most Cali coast campgrounds support HB?
Did I make it up in a dream?

I am worried that I'll find myself dog tired, darkness approaching, getting turned away from a campground with the next campground many miles away.