Old 03-21-09, 11:06 AM
StevePGN10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr_Christopher
I measured everything (about 4 or 5 measurements) as suggested at the Velo Orange site and according to what they recommend I'll be getting 35mm fenders, the hammered ones are what I want and 45mm would be pushing it..
I just measured mine, again, because your message has me thinking I may have measured wrong. For comparison:
  • tire = 1 1/4 = 32 mm
  • >50mm between brake arms when brake applied
  • 9mm vertically between tire and brake
  • fork crown = 48mm wide / 10mm high
  • brake bridge is 55mm wide / 12mm above tire
  • chainstay bridge = 15mm to tire / 35mm wide

I understand it is easy and common to trim the rear fender at the chainstay bridge, so the 35mm should not be a constraint. That should make the 48mm the constraint on this bike. By the way, this is a 1983 Super LeTour which was made in Mississippi, if I understand the timeline correctly. What measurement are you using as the minimum?

Originally Posted by Mr_Christopher
I'm planning to use a Wald's chrome rack, I think it's the 215 model (maybe). I think my wheels are 27 x 1/8 (26mm wide).
I was looking at the Wald 215 last night. Not only is it a good price for a bottom feeder like myself, but it looks like something that should be on a C&V bike. However, the installation guide on the Wald website says WALD 215 Rear Rack Installation Instructions The Wald 215 Rear Rack works best with bicycles using 26‐inch wheels and a fixed gear, single speed, or internal transmission. Some 700c (27‐inch) wheels can be accommodated but only on a case by case basis. I measured the mountain bike rack I have on their now and it has a 330mm (13 inch) high deck, and that leaves very little room for a fender. I spent hours googling for other racks but they are either too expensive or only available in black. The search continues.

Regards,
Steve