Old 03-22-09, 12:05 AM
unime
adrenaline junkie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mabman
I feel that there is a great future for motor assist for use as low speed vehicles as tools of transport to get folks out of their cars, especially the highest percentage of single person trips under 5 miles. But the idea of using them for recreation offroad disturbs me. Just get a dirt bike and ride with those folks, don't bring motorized bicycles to the trails, please.
First, let me thank you! This discussion belongs in a thread of its own. Even if we end up disagreeing I welcome it.

Now then, conflict between user groups seems to be more rule than exception these days. I do not foresee unrestrained ebike use on human powered trails in the US (I'm not well informed about trails in other countries). On the other hand, I have no problem with someone riding an ebike using only human power on any bike legal trail (Boulder, CO, for example, appears to take this position - at least for their paved trails). Ebikes should certainly be allowed on motorized trails. If it helps you feel better, the International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA) told me they do not support the use of ebikes on mountain bike trails.

I will admit I am put off by your implication that ebikes should only be used to replace cars for trips around town. Come on - open your imagination to the possibilities! Measured in mileage and hours, I use my ebike more for recreation than utility transportation, though I do plenty of the latter. It is hard for me to understand why anyone would complain about my having fun exploring the countryside around the town I live in using a few cents worth of electricity, even if it means linking roads by riding legally accessible off road connections.

Since you brought up Optibike, let me explain that it pretty much lives up to the hype. One owner I know of is a retired downhill bike rider who has nothing but praise for its off road capabilities. I ride mine with road(ish) tires and stick to moderate terrain when venturing off the pavement, preferring my mountain bike for technical off road riding. I credit training on my Optibike with improving my performance on the mountain bike.