Thread: Segregation
View Single Post
Old 01-21-05, 06:52 AM
skydive69

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I didn't say you had to be a minority to follow Dr. King, did I now? Please read what I said without your own personal interpretation.

I have no limited perception of what he fought for. I listened personally to Dr. King, in my early 20's - when he was first speaking out, and I have taught in schools, starting in 1962 where issues of inclusion for all races were a matter of urgency and priority.

Huh? Show me where I have ever advocated this? Did you have a bad dream?

Somehow this is a non-sequitur - your statements just doesn't follow. How does dragging folks from their vehicle relate in any way to your premise about bicyclists being a persecuted minority? Oh, I get it, bicyclists are regularly dragged off of their bikes for riding bikes? Right - is that what you meant? And I have never been disowned by my family for riding a bicycle. Have you? Otherwise, how is your argument in any way parallel or valid?

FWIW, my sons have been denied access to all sorts of buildings, transportation and programs because they both have profound disabilities. I have attended rallies for their civil rights, I have sponsored legislation, I have been to the legislature, I have written letters, I have developed web pages and listservs, I have attended committee after committee meeting, I have pursued their rights through lawyers, I have even carried a placard up and down in front of the state Capitol. Don't think you are the only one who has a clue about disenfranchisement from society.

I would never demean Dr. King by quoting him for a small problem in the world about bicyclists being segregated. I think too highly of him.

But, again, what does this have to do with bicycling?
Fox: All well said - this is what I was trying to avoid! Go get 'em. Oh, by the way, there is another interesting side to the story. When my brother graduated from UCLA, they were very candid with him at the law school of his choice, pointing out that minorities were being given precedence for entrance. He was er ah, dragged out of UCLA and delivered pizzas for a year before he could finally get into the California law school of his choice.

How does this all relate to cycling? It doesn't, and that's another point.