Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by alanthealan
That's why people should get out and do it,instead of reading about it.
Its funny how often this issue pops into my head. I did a world tour 1998-2000. I love to tell stories and share stories about it with people. I love to do that...i can see their faces, tailor the details to their interests, etc.

I have often been urged to 'write a book about it!' But I never have! And the reason is exactly what you say in your sentence. Two aspects....

(1) Don't READ about my trip you ninkinpoop! Go out and tour on your own. Live your dream, don't read about it.

(2) More subtly, I have a reluctance to share the emotional aspects of touring with strangers. I am a guy who lives low on the hog and very much a solitary person. The joys and sorrows and sinew of my world tour are one of my few true, true possessions, and I am not sure I wanna share them with others in such a broad brush manner.

So yes, I have my website with alot of pictures...and some, but by no means an exhaustive, series of stories and events. But i don't think a 'world tour book' will ever be in the cards.

To some extent also these 'reality' shows have overblown travel. There is too much 'been there done that' attitude to traditional travel by TV and magaziens these days. The only thing they want to publish and televise is "underwater orgies with coelecanths off the coast of south africa!" type stuff.

The best way to see this is to withdraw from the media for a while and then see what a freak show these mags and TV shows have become. I don't have a TV, nor do I obsess with cell phone access, yadda yadda. All the trappings of the attention deficit generation have passed me by. Try it for a month or two and see what happens.

roughstuff