View Single Post
Old 03-23-09, 01:15 PM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
Do you mean not high enough, or not able to utilize it fully? I have felt a bit off lately, like it's been harder to make power... I kind of ran myself into the ground racing every weekend, so I'm taking a much needed rest. I didn't ride at all yesterday or today. I think the bottom line is just that a lot of hard efforts continually during the race took their toll. That 1' effort was on the first lap at the start of the climb, and was a higher effort than I did in Nevada, and then I had to continue climbing for over a minute more. The whole climb took 2'15" at an AP of 380. It definitely wore on me. And then it was always hard at the bottom too, I had to do 500W for 20", got a bit of a break and then 20" more at 500W. It was basically like that on every lap
without doing any chart and graph analysis, it sounds to me like you just simply burnt too many anaerobic matches and your book was empty. this could be the result of errors you made or the result of physiological reasons. hard to say.

for a non graph based race analysis, think about:
-your positioning when you were put under pressure, were you in the pack on a wheel protected from the wind (i.e. wind coming from the right, were you on the left? etc.),

-where were you at the start of this 2'15" climb? did you hit it with as much momentum as the folks in front of you or were you slowed down and had to "jump" to get back on.

-if you were dangling on the up portions of the course, did you have to hammer the downhill portions and thus expend greater energy to keep up than others who were recovering while you were working and then ready to go when the course demanded it?

-descending, same thing as above, did you have to work at it to keep up with those who were recovering while still going fast (this is a killer)

-gearing, did you choose your gear ratios correctly in the race or did you find yourself out of rhythm or in an odd gear that you couldnt shift out of?

All these things add up and whittle away at your legs until they just wont do what you want them to anymore.