View Single Post
Old 03-23-09, 02:11 PM
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jhmiller
Both good ideas -- I might actually sign up for the Tierra Bella after looking at the website. It wouldn't hurt me to be less of an antisocial ******* every now and again.

As for the coastal route, I'm intrigued, especially by the scenery. But how bad is that wind on any given day? I went out for what I thought would be a 20-mile sprint this afternoon (locally, in San Jose and Santa Clara) and it turned into a brutal slog. Thirty-mile-an-hour winds are no fun.
The winds in the last couple of days (today included) were exceptional; I'm sure it's been windy all through the Bay Area. Normally, in the Spring, winds are lighter - say 10mph or less, and more varied in direction. In the Summer, the winds come up in the afternoon and they're stronger, like in the 15-20mph range, and more consistently from the South.

Hence my suggestion of starting in Santa Cruz. You'll ride north in the morning when the headwinds are low. Then when you turnaround, the wind will push you all the way back. Nothin' like 50 miles of downwind riding - what a thrill!!!