View Single Post
Old 03-24-09, 06:05 PM
72andsunny

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by duppie
Thanks for the info. Maybe I should walk down to the Amtrak station here in Chicago and check out one of those trains....
So what happens if you get refused? I thought that Amtrak has assigned seats for a specific train # (much like traveling by air). Can you get on the next train, or will they refund the ticket?
Duppie
The trains out here are general admission seating for the cheap seats. The "VIP" cars might have assigned seats. Might be different out your way.

When our tandem has been refused passage, they have always been more than willing to refund our tickets...if for no other reason than to get the angry man out of their station.

Always good to have a backup when dealing with Amtrak:

Our trips usually run in the opposite direction from yours, so our backup is usually: have Amtrak store the bike (this service varies by station), take the train home, then come back with the car. This is a pain on 100 mile rides.

I would suggest booking the train before the train that has checked baggage. In the event they don't let you on, you could theoretically pack your tandem in a bike box for the next one. Stations that accept luggage are supposed to sell bike boxes for $15.