View Single Post
Old 03-26-09, 10:22 AM
fearfeasog
Gaeilgeoir

Bikes: 2003 Giant Iguana (ONCE yellow), '86 Team Fuji (Blue/Yellow), '87 Schwinn Le Tour (Frost White)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyG
Let us know what your actual inseam is, crotch to floor standing is socks and we can give you a better opinion on what a good crank length for you is rather than guessing. Nominally I would say that 2.5mm isn't going to make that much difference and I would be going down to at least 170mm but then again if your only around 5' 6" or less then even shorter cranks may be in order.

Anthony
when *i* measure i get 34" -- i'm just shoving the zero end of a tape into my crotchal area and reading where the tape hits the floor. sock feet.

my reasearch on the subject led me HERE regarding a good starting point for crank length choice. and that linked to THIS article suggesting that folks with patellar problems might want to go even 2.5mm shorter. so i'm considering 170mm ranks. i have an older shimano 105 set, a double, but i really have to check the chainline issues.

i'm hoping to find a triple in 170 to replace the 175 triple on my Surly Cross Check. if anyone has a specific suggestion, let me know! (BB info is in the OP!)