Old 03-26-09, 10:38 AM
johnknappcc

Bikes: A beautiful columbus steel frame, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur touring bike, Currently Undergoing Overhaul

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Panthers007
I am not kidding.

In fact, just last year, a young guy on a shiny-new Cannondale took the corner in front of my house and crashed. He's turned the handlebars as one would on a cheap steel-frame, and the aluminum Cannondale responded as it would. It went for a circle and sent the rider a** over teakettle. I dropped my paper I was fetching and ran over to him. Aside from being a bike-mechanic, I'm also a trained EMT. Gave him a primary survey and gave him a seat on my doorstep and ran him through the warning signs of head trauma. Then fetched a tool to straighten out his handlebars - the only damage there was to the bicycle.

As I was doing this I asked him if this was his first aluminum bicycle. He looked at me like I just stepped out of a flying-saucer. It was and he'd just bought it. The bike shop hadn't mentioned a thing to him. I ran him through the above suggestion of mine, told him he should get a helmet, and sent him on his way.
Also being a Good Samaritan, I would have kicked him back down, ran off with his bike, and shouted "I'm doing this for your own good!" Muhahahahahaha . . .