Old 03-26-09, 11:45 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
I have built up a 1988 Kuwahara Shasta and a 1987 Kuwahara Cascade into fg bikes... the Cascade was the top level mtb that Kuwahara offered and was hand built with Ishiwata quad butted tubing and is fully lugged while the Shasta has Ishiwata triple butted tubes and lugged and was their second in line model.

The 1988 is the nicest Shasta model built as it has better tubes than it's predecessors and is almost identical to the Cascade although the frame is a touch heavier.

Both have had their flat bars swapped for rando drops as I prefer these and both run flip flop hubs with fixed gearings on both sides.

Both have touring geometry and the Cascade was originally built as a full on 26 inch expedition bike with braze ons for multiple bottles, pump, and even has a spoke holder on the stay.

1987 Kuwahara Cascade

1988 Kuwahara Shasta

The Shasta after I first built it... you can really see the slack angles of these frames.

Prior to getting i's drop bars and on the job...

I have built up numerous other mtbs and ss / fg bikes with frames with similar geometry and their owners are very pleased.