Old 03-28-09, 07:19 AM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jerry in So IL
Actually got a broken nose, fractured right sinis cavity, and fractured right optical plate. Beside the extreme concusion. Right eye has a torn retina, that I got laser surgery on yesterday.

Hopefully nothing permament.

Today was the first day I was upright fully. Like I said before, I did laps in the pool for about 30 minutes and it felt great to get out and move. Head is sore from no pain meds, but trying to wing myself off. Might try the gym's Life Cycle tomorrow or Sunday to get back in the saddle so to speak. Bad storms and possible snow flurries are a maybe this weekend.

Jerry
Injured at work, that's a drag, attacked at work, you gotta milk that one for all it's worth

Two things, first keep your union rep up to date, employers sometimes try to shirk their responsibilities, there should be laws in place to deal with workplace injuries, the union local will know what they are. You do not return to work until your doctor says so. Employers always want you back at your post as quickly as possible, the sooner your back, the cheaper it is, so they want you back way too early. Besides, once your back to work, they can cut off any longer term treatments that they have to pay for, that they wouldn't normally. The rules are very different if you get your nose broken at work, then if you fall off your bike and get a broken nose. The employer in many places has more responsibility with injured workers, then workers who are injured off the job. No returning to work, until the doctor signs off on it. This is the only card you get to play, so play it well.

Early in the healing process, you want the "good" drugs, they take the pain away and let you concentrate on healing. What I usually do, as I have been on them a few times, is this.

Early stages, take the "good" drugs all the time.
After a while, I take the "good" drugs in the evening, so I can sleep without pain, but use the lighter weight drugs during the day.
Once I can put up with it during the day without anything, I switch to the lighter weight stuff at night.

When you switch is a personal thing, I usually find that 2 weeks for each stage is good, for me, your different, and I have been different at times too.