View Single Post
Old 01-23-05, 07:48 PM
bsyptak
Luggite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are able to switch out the drop bar with flat bars, you'll obviously have to switch out the brakes and shifters as well. You might get lucky and the lbs might do it for you. If so, then there should be a cost SAVINGS. Flat bar stuff is cheaper.

But, there are a bunch of bikes out there that are almost identical to cyclocross bikes that come stock with flat bars. Look at Felt SR, Ibex Corrida, Jamis Coda. If you don't want drops, then you might as well go with what some call a speedbike. Pretty much a comfort bike but light and built more for speed. No shock, cantilevers, room for fenders and wide tires, 700s, flat bars. There are lots of bikes in this category. Also see Cannondale, Novara, Giant, Trek, Specialized, Raleigh, Marin, Kona; pretty much every mfg. Sometimes they are listed in the road category, sometimes comfort.

Another plus is that these bikes already come with 28mm tires (+/-) ready for the road (no knobbies like cyclocross-not great for speed). Some of the bikes have traditional geometry like a road bike and some have compact looking (mtb). They will also have either a triple or a double, but the biggest chainring will likely be 50+ teeth, which is probably a good thing since you're riding on the road. Some will have cantilevers and some will have v-brakes. Still, no big deal as you are on the road. None of the recommended models will have a front shock. But at a minimum, look for one with a steel fork, or ultimately a carbon fork (especially on an aluminum frame).

These aren't true cyclocross bikes, but I think you should take a look. The high end ones ($800+) are spec'd really well. If you want to spend less, there are bikes starting under $500.

I bought a Giant Cypress SX by the way. MTB type frame. I use it for commuting. It's a really nice bike and I'd recommend it. That Utopia you were talking about has a front shock and pretty big tires so it is not going to be the best road bike, probably more in the fire road arena. I'm not sure GF really has anything that I would recommend in this category.

Good luck with your search.