Thread: What Bike?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-09, 11:29 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I voted "Other - American based company" for my 1992 Bridgestone RB-1 which is my main ride. Although the parent company was Japanese and the frames were built there, Bridgestone America's bikes were designed and spec'd in the US by Grant Petersen and that is where the bikes got their personality and characteristics. Basically a lugged steel road frame made from quality Japanese steel (quad butted Ishiwata tubing) with traditional Italian dimensions and geometry, fairly quick steering on a somewhat longish top tube with a setback seat tube to make for a good handling bike that is comfortable for all day rides.

It has been a love affair since the first day I rode the bike in April 1992. Every time I think about replacing Ribby, she ends up with new components and/or accessories to keep her going for a few more years. The upgrades are not necessarily more modern, just good quality and functional parts to keep me happy on the bike. It started with mostly Shimano Ultegra components with some Suntour and Dia Compe thrown into the mix and some Ritchey parts like rims, stem etc.

Current configuration is new Ultegra rear der., old Dura Ace front der., Suntour ratcheting friction bar end shifters, Nitto stem and handlebars, Campagnolo Chorus headset, original Dia Compe brakes with Kool Stop salmon pads, Shimano brake levers, Mavic Open Pro rims with DT db spokes, Dura Ace front hub, original Ultegra 7 speed cassette rear hub, Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick 700X23C tires, unknown seat post with two bolt seat attachment, Brooks B-17 saddle, Sugino XD600 triple crank with 26/36/48 chainrings, KMC 8 speed chain, Elite Ciussi stainless steel bottle cages and custom paint by Airglow. I built and rebuilt it from the frame up and do all the maintenance myself.

I'm looking for a new frame to eventually replace this bike, but I'm in no hurry to find it.