Thread: valve stem ?
View Single Post
Old 03-31-09, 06:59 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by tatfiend
To me the biggest advantage is that the hole in the rim is smaller in diameter. With narrow road rims that makes for a stronger rim.

Easier to pump up as no spring depressor needed in the pump chuck and less air is lost while attaching and removing the pump chuck in my experience.

Available in multiple stem lengths for use with various depth rims, including deep V ones. I have not seen bike tubes with Schrader valves in multiple lengths.

If properly tightened after filling less likely to have a slow leak at the valve assembly, a problem I have seen with Schrader valves.
I'll give you the smaller hole in the rim and different lengths offered.

Easier to fill with a pump is bogus. What makes you think that most of the air you hear isn't coming from the hose just as it does when you remove the chuck from a Presta tire. Using a compressor I'm positive that I can inflate at least 2 or 3 schrader valve tires in the time it takes to inflate 1 presta valve tire..

Retaining pressure is bogus. Your air conditioner uses 200 psi line pressure and is expected not to leak at all. Everyone that I've ever seen uses a Schrader valve.

In the interest of full disclosure, all of the bikes that my wife and I own use Presta valves. Partly for the reasons that you mentioned and partly out of tradition and style. I don't have anything against Presta valves, I just don't think they are "far superior" to Schrader valves.