Thread: Heartbroken
View Single Post
Old 04-01-09, 01:41 AM
gamecat
Hoopy Frood

Bikes: Trek 7.3fx, Peugeot PX-10, Fuji Roubaix Pro ('04), Cannondale R600, Triumph Roadsters, Raleigh 20, Univega Nuovo Sport, Schwinn Sierra, Bianchi Osprey, Peugeot NS-22, Batavus Champion, Haro Pulse.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Then what? Try and get the police to investigate the ad? Actually go see the bike?

The people who took them may know what I look like, if they cased the place during the day, or pass by frequently. I'm in the garage working on them or doing other stuff regularly. I've been wondering if that might have been how I called attention to their presence.

And yes, it's pretty obvious the cops will do nothing. The form they fill out to take your report begins with these "case screening factors, " all checked on mine:

[x] Suspect/Vehicle Not Seen
[x] Prints/Evidence not present
[x] MO not distinct [Modus Operandi]
[x] Property loss less then $5,000
[x] No serious injury to victim
[x] Only one victim involved

My "case" is going nowhere, clearly. I'm one person and I wasn't assaulted or deprived of more than $5K worth of stuff (what? $1K is a lot of money to me.) I can't tell them how the criminals did it, and there's no physical evidence--because they haven't bothered to try and collect any.

It's not like the cops do much when you're actually assaulted, either. That happened to me a few years ago, in another state. It's the same all over.

Maybe I should have told the cop each bike was worth $1500. Or maybe that I am in fact two people.

I ebay'd a remarkably inexepensive Univega so at least I'll have something sensible to ride until I can try and sort out what I'm going to do.