View Single Post
Old 04-02-09, 03:45 PM
greaterbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoRacer
Hey, GB, I have another idea for you, regarding you knee, that you may be able to do right away.
Video--get your wife to video you riding, both coming and going and from each side. Afterward, review the video looking for anything strange you may be doing with your legs. Check both legs, because it could be a compensation thing.
Make sure you don't try to be in your best form--ride naturally.
Anyway, this is a cheap and easy way to get some information about your pedaling before having to spend $$$ on a pro analysis.
You mean take the video equipment out of the bedroom?

No, but really, I like that idea. I attempted to get a quick referral to an ortho doc today, but no luck. My family doc wants X-rays to rule out arthritis. That is almost certainly a waste of time. From everything I've read this seems to be a classic case of irritation of the tissues under the patella from the patella not "tracking" correctly. Causes of that are 1. bike fit (might be true in my case, but I doubt it) 2. uneven muscular development- if your quads build up too quickly they can pull the patella out of alignment because the neighboring muscles are weak in comparison. 3. uneven pedaling stroke/compensation probs.

I'm sure i'm looking at causes 2. and/or 3. Regardless, my knee is annoyed at me so I'll give it a rest.
Therefore, I will cancel/reschedule my BBC ride this sunday.

The route and cue are nice and clean. I rode both top and bottom 100Ks within the last month. It's a very fun ride, but it's quite hilly and a bad idea to ride on a grumpy knee. The cue sheet is up on cue sheet central so if anyone would like to ride it on sunday, you should.

Here's the description and link to the cue:

15-17 mph - 8:00 am - 125 mi START: Mt Washington Starbucks
April Rando-Ramble: 'Robert E Lee's Double Cross' Get your base miles in early this spring. A 200K with a 100K option. Ride heads up through Balt Co. through Phoenix. A rest at Wally's is the turn around for 100K riders. The real rando-riders proceed north up into PA. A lunch/regroup in New Freedom then south into the Pretty Boy valley. The start has easy parking, is near Light Rail and Mt. Washington Tavern for beers after. :-) All pace. Leader: Bob Wagner
READ THIS BEFORE RIDING- http://tinyurl.com/RandoRideNotes
Ride cue: http://cuesheetcentral.com/uploads/R...oubleCross.pdf