Old 04-03-09, 10:56 PM
CoolRide

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Springer fork question

Greetings all!

I just collected a few different bikes from a friend, a mongoose menace cruiser, Raleigh Super Record, and Kaluna moon dog.

I havent done anything with bikes other than ride them and I havent even done that since my last mountain bike was stolin about 10 years ago.

I Got the Menace riding nicley (nicely for 6'1 260 lbs lol) am saving money to completley restore the Raleigh Super Record, and am just dinging around with the Moon Dog.

I was looking at some different setups and thought that a springer front fork would look pretty sharp on the Moon Dog, with some mountain bike type handle bars flipped upside down, kinda like the cafe racer style motorcycles of the '60s.

I have looked online and can find tons of springers, including a bunch that claim to be "universal" which I find hard to believe but as I stated I know nothing about working on bikes, yet.

I have measured my three bikes where the fork tube goes through the frame and all three are different lengths, so Im not sure what to do.

Could someone here please let me know how to check on my Moon Dog and make sure I will be ordering the right one? I sure would appreciate the information.

The part of my frame which the fork tube (not sure what its called) goes through is 5 & 1/2" inches long.
Not sure of the diameter as I can still ride it and havent wanted to tear it apart quite yet.

I posted this in "bike mechanics" but didnt know if that or here would be the proper place.

Also I didnt use the search function because at this point Im not even sure of the terminology.
Thanks again.

Sammy